Bringing a child into the world is a dream that can understandably feel more distant as we age. But that doesn’t mean you should give up hope. At FertilitySmart, we’re here to support you on your journey with all of the advice and guidance you need to start or expand your family during this chapter of life.
In this article, we'll explain how to boost fertility in your 40s, focusing onways to increase fertility naturally with lifestyle changes and nutritional supplements rather than introducing drugs that could cause undesirable side effects.
Let’s start with the most obvious and one of the most commonly asked questions:
Can I Get Pregnant After 40?
The short answer is a resounding yes. That said, your fertility at 40 is not what it was when you were in your 20s. So, you can expect some additional challenges. However, knowing how to increase fertility naturally can go a long way to improving your chances of a successful conception.
It’s also essential to remember you’re not alone. In recent years, we’ve witnessed a noticeable shift in how couples approach family planning. Compared to previous generations, many are now choosing to start families later in life. The reasons for this are varied but often include the desire to satisfy career aspirations, pursue financial stability, and focus on personal growth before committing to starting a family.
Fertility at 40: What You Need to Know
While it’s equally important to appreciate the role of the male reproductive system as we age, the focus for many couples is often on how to increase female fertility. That is understandable, as factors like egg depletion and potential issues with egg quality play a significant role in the likelihood of becoming pregnant.
It's a biological reality that, as we age, the number of eggs available for conception decreases. What's more, the quality of the remaining eggs may be compromised, making it more challenging to achieve a healthy pregnancy.
The genetic viability of each egg is a crucial factor. As women progress into their 40s, the DNA within each egg becomes more susceptible to errors and chromosomal abnormalities. These abnormalities can result in conception difficulties and can also increase the risk of miscarriage, making learning how to improve egg quality after 40 a top priority.
How to Boost Fertility in Your 40s
Before we get started, it’s helpful to clarify that while the mental pressure to conceive undoubtedly builds after the age of 40, the following tips apply equally to younger couples.
As crazy as it sounds, the medical age threshold for what constitutes a ‘geriatric pregnancy’ is now a woman in her mid-thirties. With this in mind, it’s little wonder the Google search term ‘how to increase fertility after 35’ has become increasingly popular and currently generates around 173 million search results.
In some ways, it can be reassuring knowing that you’re ‘in the same boat’ as other couples who share the same dreams and frustrations as you. But that doesn’t take the sting out of your personal quest to become a parent.
For many couples who feel their biological clocks ticking, it can be tempting to jump toward more drastic solutions regarding how to increase fertility (female-centered treatments like fertility drugs or IVF being two of the most common options). However, it's essential to remember that there are less invasive, healthier, and more cost-effective options worth exploring first.
The following tips on how to boost fertility naturally apply to both males and females looking to improve their reproductive health while avoiding the potential adverse side effects, stress, and financial strain associated with more aggressive fertility treatments.
Take a Fertility Supplement
Natural supplements are designed to support your reproductive health holistically and gently and should be one of the first options to consider when researching how to boost fertility in your 40s. The effectiveness of natural fertility supplements lies in their ability to provide essential nutrients that enhance your overall reproductive well-being.
Among the key ingredients to look for, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)stands out as a powerhouse in promoting fertility. Widely regarded as one of the most effective ingredients for improving egg quality after 40 naturally, the antioxidant properties of this naturally occurring compound can play a vital role in safeguarding the integrity of eggs by protecting them from oxidative damage and supporting their energy metabolism.
The Primary Benefits of CoQ10
It’s not only about eggs, of course. CoQ10 also helps maintain health within the entire female uterine environment and increases the chances of successful conception by enhancing:
- Ovulation - By supporting regular and successful ovulation – particularly in women with irregular menstrual cycles - CoQ10 can increase the chances of conception.
- Fertilization - CoQ10 provides additional energy to aid the fusion of the egg and sperm, initiating the formation of a healthy zygote.
- Embryo development - By reinforcing the proper functioning of the uterine lining, adequate levels of CoQ10 ensure the uterus remains receptive to the embryo's attachment.
Furthermore, the beneficial properties of CoQ10 don’t just help in terms of how to increase female fertility. There are several advantages for men, too, including:
- Increased sperm count
- Increased sperm motility
- Increased sperm quality
Cut Down on Alcohol
Reducing your alcohol intake goes hand-in-hand with making better dietary choices and exercising more. This combination of improvements leads to a healthier overall lifestyle, typically facilitating healthier pregnancies.
While enjoying an occasional glass of wine or a cocktail is usually fine, excessive alcohol intake can harm your reproductive health in multiple ways:
- Excessive alcohol consumption can disrupt hormonal balance, affecting the menstrual cycle and ovulation.
- Alcohol has been proven to reduce the quality of both eggs and sperm, making it more challenging to conceive and achieve a healthy pregnancy.
- Alcohol can hinder the absorption of essential nutrients, such as folate, which are crucial for fetal development.
Top Tips for Cutting Your Alcohol Intake
Taking the following steps can bring you closer to achieving the family you've always dreamed of while simultaneously maintaining a healthier lifestyle that supports your goals and future as a family:
- Start by setting clear limits on alcohol intake and gradually reducing the frequency and quantity of your consumption.
- Identify triggers that lead to excessive drinking, such as stress or social situations, and try to avoid them wherever possible.
- Replace alcoholic beverages with non-alcoholic alternatives like mocktails or flavored sparkling water.
Get Some Exercise
Staying active, maintaining a healthy weight, and reducing stress through physical activity are vital components of learning how to boost fertility in your 40s. However, over-exercising can have adverse effects on fertility, so it's essential to find the right balance. Once you’ve settled on a suitable routine, you’ll tap into several fertility benefits, including:
- Healthier reproductive organs, ovulation cycles, and sperm production thanks to enhanced blood circulation.
- Reduced stress, anxiety, and their associated effects on hormonal balance and overall fertility.
- A healthier overall body weight, which is a primary consideration for nurturing a pregnancy after 40.
Some Examples of Suitable Exercise
It pays to take things slowly rather than throwing yourself into an unsustainable exercise regime. That’s not to say you can’t ramp your efforts up over time once you’re into a healthy routine and have begun to develop more strength. Here are a few top tips for getting started:
- Focus on moderate exercise, as excessive intensity might lead to overexertion and hinder fertility.
- Aim for aerobic exercises (like brisk walking or swimming) and strength training to maintain a balanced fitness program.
- Consider activities like yoga or tai chi, which combine physical activity with stress reduction.
Modify Your Diet
Making a few changes to your diet is one of the simplest ways to increase fertility naturally. What you eat plays a vital role in your overall health and, by extension, your fertility because:
- A balanced diet can help regulate hormones, improving ovulation and menstrual cycles.
- Proper nutrition ensures your body receives essential vitamins and minerals necessary for reproductive health.
- Maintaining a healthy weight through diet can positively impact fertility.
A Few Simple Dietary Recommendations
By making informed food choices and embracing a fertility-friendly diet, you can take a significant step towards improving your reproductive health and increasing your chances of achieving your dream family. A few best practices include:
- Prioritizing whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats.
- Including foods rich in antioxidants, which help protect eggs and sperm from damage. A few examples include berries, nuts, and leafy greens.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to support overall health and reproductive function.
If you’ve already been researching how to boost fertility naturally, you’ll be aware that quitting smoking can be a significant factor because:
- Smoking can lead to a reduced ovarian reserve, meaning fewer eggs are available for fertilization.
- It can hinder blood flow to the reproductive organs, impacting both egg and sperm quality.
- Smoking is associated with an increased risk of pregnancy complications and a higher chance of miscarriage.
A Few Helpful Tips to Help You Quit
Nobody finds quitting smoking easy, even when the drive to do so is strong and motivated by the powerful urge to increase the chances of a successful pregnancy. If you're struggling, the following strategies may help to support you:
- Consider seeking counseling or therapy to address the psychological aspects of smoking addiction.
- Utilize natural nicotine replacement medications and any available in-person/online support groups.
- Reach out to friends and family for encouragement to ensure accountability during your mission to quit.
Learning how to boost fertility in your 40s can be as much about identifying mental barriers as physical ones, and stress can sometimes be a formidable roadblock on the path to parenthood. The link between stress and fertility challenges is well-established, as it can disrupt hormonal balance and affect reproductive function in various ways:
- Even small amounts of stress can affect sperm production and quality in men.
- High stress levels can lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as overeating or excessive alcohol consumption, further impacting fertility.
- Chronic stress can lead to irregular menstrual cycles and hinder ovulation.
How to Combat Stress
To manage stress effectively, consider integrating the following techniques and coping strategies into your daily life:
- Introduce light physical activity and consider meditation to reduce stress and improve your emotional well-being.
- Seek support from a therapist or counselor to address the root causes of stress and develop healthier coping mechanisms.
- Create a support network of friends, family, and colleagues to act as an outlet for sharing and managing stress.
Quality sleep is a cornerstone of overall well-being and can have a much more significant effect on reproductive health than many people realize. In fact, emphasizing the importance of sleep is crucial when you're focused on how to increase fertility naturally because:
- Sleep plays a critical role in hormone regulation, particularly those related to reproduction.
- Lack of sleep can affect menstrual regularity and ovulation.
- Quality sleep is essential for the body's ability to recover and repair, which impacts all of your organs, including your reproductive system.
Ways to Encourage Healthier Sleeping Patterns
Prioritize the quality of your rest time with these top tips for improving sleep quality and creating a more sleep-friendly environment:
- Maintain a consistent sleep schedule by going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.
- Create a comfortable sleeping environment by investing in a good mattress and using blackout curtains to eliminate excess light.
- Avoid using electronic devices before bedtime, as the blue light emitted can disrupt your circadian rhythm.
Boost Your Fertility with FertilitySmart
Fertility Smart’s non-prescription, natural formulas are suitable for both males and females. Along with naturally occurring CoQ10, Fertility Smart Conceive for Women and Fertility Smart Conceive for Men contain many earth-grown ingredients and essential vitamins to encourage hormonal balance and reproductive wellness.
With no adverse side effects and no impact on the likelihood of multiple births, FertilitySmart fertility supplements for women have been hailed ‘the miracle in a bottle’ and have been used by thousands of couples to optimize the chance of successful conception. Contact us to learn more today!